Sunday, September 9, 2007

Tips for buying a new computer

Today I thought I would take a slightly different tack and tackle one of those questions that friends, family and people I hardly know are always asking me... What should I be looking for when buying a new computer.

With computers bigger is almost certainly better and this doesn't mean the size of the computer it means the components. A bigger hard drive will give you more space for your files, more memory will help with computer performance, a faster processor will make tasks take less time and so it goes on.

So what should I be looking for from my components...?

Hard drive

  • If you download large video, music and other junk (like me) then space will eventually run out so if this is you then get a big hard drive. Currently 500Gb should serve you well.
  • If you use your computer for word processing, email and not much else then hard drive space won't really be an issue for you. However still choose enough space to get you through to your next computer. 1-200Gb should be fine in this situation.
Memory (RAM)

Windows is a memory hog so this is an area that has become a little grey (especially after the release of Windows Vista). I now recommend that people try and get a computer with at least 2GB of RAM. I know you can add more later, but 2GB will last you for a few years at least.

Processor

Processors have gone through another change as well recently with the new dual core (and even quad core) offerings from Intel and AMD. The core2duo is wowing everyone at the moment and with good reason, it is one impressive processor. Basically a dual core processor means what it says - two processors in one. This leads to an improvement in multitasking and eventually, when the programs are made for it, an improvement in program speed. I am currently recommending the best processor that comes within my clients budget. In other words get the best you can afford, but make sure it is a core2duo (for the moment anyway!)

Optical Drive (DVD, CD, Blu Ray)

Currently dual layer DVD writers are cheap and this is what you should expect for your money. They have large storage space and provide great quality backups. The new generation of data storage is upon us though and Blu Ray and HD-DVD are becoming more and more common. However, at the moment Blu Ray and HD-DVD are not worth the price unless you really really need them. I am advising people to stick with a good dual layer DVD writer for now as it will do everything most "normal" people need.

Other storage media

I get asked on a daily basis "do I still need a floppy drive?" The short answer is no. They our outdated and I would be surprised if you can still find a computer with one in it for sale in a showroom. Get a good USB flash disk instead.

Graphics Cards

Now becoming essential even for Windows these are often overlooked. If you are a serious gamer then get a serious card. Otherwise just get a standard graphics card. I usually say that 128mb will be fine for most people and 512+mb for gamers.


Other Stuff that most people overlook (the boring stuff)

Motherboards - These can make a difference in regards to speed, upgradability and even stability. You can find great information about motherboards by searching the product name and number on google. If people are having problems with the model you should find it with google.

Sound Cards - These are usually integrated into motherboards and most people just want basic sound so this works out fine.

Modems - I remember my old dad had this huge clunky modem in his office that would connect magically to the world at speeds of about 2 kb/s and I though it was amazing! However, in the day of braodband and cable internet built in 56k modems are now basically useless, but if you need one it might even come as standard.

Ethernet and wireless - Most computers will come with an Ethernet port and it will have a speed rating. If you don't know what that means then it shouldn't bother you. Get a wireless card if you need it and think about it even if you don't. They are cheap and you might decide to go wireless at some point. New laptops should have wireless built in and if it doesn't walk away from the salesman in disgust!

Well that about covers it. I really hope this little guide helps you in what can be a daunting task of buying a new computer. If it did feel free to leave me a comment.

If you liked this post you can subscribe to my blog for free.
AddThis Feed Button

No comments: